When news hits that a storm is approaching, anxiety levels begin to rise and everyone begins rushing to prepare. While experts usually issue warnings of storms days in advance, you may need to evacuate quickly and do not want to be left preparing in the stress of the moment! Make for a smoother process by already having a checklist, supply kit, and emergency plan in place and ready to go. The best thing to do is to already be ready, so here is a guide to crafting your own hurricane plan:
- Determine your evacuation route and where you plan to go.
- You may be within a mandatory evacuation zone if you live in Brevard county!
- The FEMA app will have a list of active shelters during a disaster
- Plan how you will receive emergency alerts/warnings – having a hand-crank or battery powered radio (with extra batteries) is crucial, especially if power and internet services go down!
- Write down important phone numbers and email addresses, including those of your family members and emergency services.
- Have an updated emergency supply kit with food, water, medications, and any other necessary items.
- Gather materials you may need to barricade your home. Make sure you have shutters and sandbags!
- Have a plan in place for your pets! Make sure to prepare any supplies they would need.
- Communicate the plan with your family and make sure everyone is on the same page.
The threat of a storm is always nerve wracking, but the best thing to do is prepare! Be sure to contact us with any questions, and to make sure your insurance is prepared for this upcoming hurricane season.