Hurricane season 2020 officially began this week and as Floridians we all know how important preparation is. This is why we cannot stress to you enough how important it is to ensure that your insurance is as ready as you are. Whether you need to update your old policies, acquire new policies, or simply need to review your existing policies it is important to make sure that you have the coverage you need before the storms arrive. Here are a few things that you might want to keep in mind:
- Make sure you have flood insurance! Flooding is one of the gravest dangers that hurricanes and Florida storms can cause, and having the proper protection in place can be the difference between a total loss and a protected home. It is important to note that homeowner’s policies do not cover damage caused by flooding!! There is also a 30-day waiting period required from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) in order to prevent flood policies from being opened only when a storm is actively approaching. This means that you should start the process of acquiring flood coverage as soon as possible, before the storms arrive in 2020.
- Find out if your homeowner’s insurance policy includes wind-storm coverage. This is something that is often included in your HO policy; however, there are various situations in which it can be excluded from your policy. As the storms of 2020 approach you might consider calling your agent and discussing your options when it comes to your homeowner’s policies including sewer backup and overflow coverage.
- Check up on your auto insurance! Many people confuse their levels of coverage when it comes to comprehensive versus collision. When considering the potential damages that a storm can cause to your vehicle, comprehensive insurance is what you will need. Check out our blog on this exact topic to learn more:
- Have digital copies of all of your policies! This is important because you never know when a storm will cause water damage and/or cause you to need to evacuate or relocate. This is why it is so important to keep electronic copies of your insurance policies saved into your e-mail or in the cloud so that you can easily access them when needed. It is also wise to keep our direct phone number (321-725-1440) saved into your cell phone so that you can easily contact us if needed.
- Download our digital 2020 Hurricane Preparedness Guide! This guide has detailed information on what to do before, during, and after a storm to ensure that you and your loved ones are protected. This guide also includes all of the named storms forecasted for 2020 as well as an emergency contact list.
- Extra tips!
- Store sandbags year-round to use as barriers.
- Purchase portable chargers for all electronic devices.
- Make emergency supply kits.
- Elevate All Electrical Panels and Wiring:
- If planning on building/expanding a house in an active flood-zone, this can be done as a precaution during construction.
- Make Yourself Aware of Weather Warnings, Evacuation Routes, & Plan Ahead:
- Being prepared is the key to reducing flood damage!
Our goal is to keep you protected no matter what comes your way, including hurricanes and other Florida storms. These are some of our best tips on what you need to review in order to ensure that your policies hold the proper coverages in order to protect you from the storms of 2020. If you have any coverage questions or would like to review what your policy covers then feel free to contact us to schedule a coverage review! We can do this through e-mail, over the phone, or in person in our office (we have face-masks and 6 feet of distance, as well as added sanitary and cleaning procedures).