Rain seems to be the forecast for many of us in the coming weeks. Some of us are experiencing mild rainstorms or sun showers, while others are experiencing heavy rainfall and extreme flooding. This stormy weather has sparked up a conversation about umbrella policies in our office, and we thought we could share some helpful information about what they are, why they are important, and what you might need to obtain one.
What is an umbrella policy?
- An umbrella policy is an added cushion of liability protection to your current insurance policies.
- If the liability limits are exhausted on your home, auto, or other underlying insurance policy, your umbrella insurance policy takes over and provides you with a second layer of protection of at least $1,000,000 (higher limits may also be available).
- An umbrella policy also covers certain claims that may not be covered by your current home, auto, or other underlying insurance policies.
- Legal defense fees are also paid.
Why should I invest in an umbrella policy?
- The cost of an umbrella policy is quite small when compared to the coverage and comfort it will provide.
- The policy will cover your spouse as well as your family members living in your household, worldwide.
- No one enjoys imagining unfortunate events; however, it is important to consider the possibility of them happening to you or your family. What if the following were to occur?
- Your dog bites a neighbor’s child.
- You injure someone in a car accident.
- A fire started in your property spreads to others nearby.
- You hit a pedestrian or cyclist on the road.
- Someone slips and falls on your property.
- A tree in your yard falls into a neighbor’s house.
- What if you are presented with a lawsuit following these unfortunate events? Are your current liability limits enough to adequately protect you, your assets, or future earnings? Are you prepared to handle such a financial hardship?
What do I need to qualify for an umbrella policy
- In order to qualify for an umbrella policy, you must already have a certain amount of liability protection in your current home, auto, and other underlying insurance policies.
- Talk to us today to determine whether you qualify, and what the right amount of coverage for your needs is.
Umbrellas are one of those objects that are not a daily necessity but are so important when the need for one arises. When storms hit, it is comforting to know that you have that umbrella in the back of your closet; you might not need it every day, week, month, or even every year, but you can have the peace of mind knowing that it is there when you need it. Umbrella policies are no different, and if you contact us we would be happy to discuss your options so that you can have that peace of mind.