Skip to content Accessibility info

Resource Center

What To Do When You Have a Claim

Auto Insurance

If you’re involved in a car accident, it’s vital that you tell your insurer about it as soon as you can to ensure you don’t invalidate your coverage. After a motor vehicle accident, theft, or fire, depending on the level of car insurance coverage you have, it’s important to be prepared and know what to do so that your car insurance claim process is as easy as possible.

Whenever a crash involves another person or vehicle, call the police to officially document the incident. If you can, take your own notes, detailing what happened leading up to the accident, the date and time. Your documentation is especially important when the other driver is at fault. At the very minimum, get the other parties’ driver’s name, address, driver’s license number and insurer’s name and policy number. If there are any witnesses, get their name and contact information as well and use your cell phone camera to take photos of the scene and damages.

When filing the claim, always call your agent or your own insurer right away if a crash involves another person or vehicle.

In the event that your car has been damaged in severe weather conditions or a result of vandalism be sure to take the appropriate steps, depending on your circumstances and coverages. If there are any repairs that you need to arrange immediately, take photos first and keep receipts so you can provide them to your insurance company later.

Homeowner’s Insurance

When the loss occurs, first make sure that your family is safe and that any necessary emergency personnel have been contacted. As soon as practical, take pictures of the damage, and then take steps to prevent further damage. Keep receipts for any money you spend to prevent further losses, but don’t repair anything or dispose of ruined property until an adjuster has examined everything.

If you were burglarized, file a police complaint even if costly items are not stolen. Make a list of the stolen items and any damaged property, then contact your agent or insurance company to report the loss. You will be required to document your loss.

If someone is hurt on your property by falling or using tools incorrectly, ensure prompt treatment and preserve any hospital receipts and prescriptions. Then report the claim to your agent or insurance company.

As always, we will be happy to assist you with the process and answer any questions you might have. Feel free to contact us today!